Director, Case Management
Company: East Orange General Hospital - 300 Central Avenue
Location: East Orange
Posted on: February 14, 2021
Director, Case ManagementJob SummaryEast Orange General Hospital
has been a trusted heath resource for generations of families in
the Newark area. Our acquisition by Prospect Medical Systems in
2016 has brought with it millions dollars in capital to stabilize
our finances, invest in new programs and technologies and leverage
a wide array of health management techniques that improve both
quality and efficiency. We are looking for an enthusiastic,
experienced and entrepreneurial Director of Case Management to join
our team. The ideal director candidate will provide operational and
strategic leadership for East Orange General Hospital Care
Management Department. Collaborates with nursing and clinical
leaders to assure smooth patient care progression and effective
outcomes and care transitions. Directs collaborative efforts with
physicians, revenue cycle and payor teams, and patients and their
families to incorporate evidence-based practices and appropriate
use of resources. Communicates effectively with Hospital leadership
in the development of day to day and strategic goals.
- Establishes systems to facilitate entry of patients into
appropriate bed, unit, and level of care. Evaluates effectiveness
and leads improvement efforts within Hospital to assure appropriate
access and level of care assignment.
- Develops and implements strategies with internal and external
providers to ensure placement of patients in the right level of
care at the right time, predictably. Participates in collaborative
forums to assure consistent practice.
- Studies and implements the care management model and structure
to achieve sustainable length of stay, resource utilization, and
clinical outcomes for patients over time. Responsible for designing
and implementing improvement strategies for the care model on an
- Establishes a development plan for the department, with a focus
on effective use of resources, inter-professional collaboration,
and coordination with chronic disease, transitional planning, and
- Directs and oversees all activity related to referral
management. Leverages Allscripts data to assess effectiveness.
Collaborates closely with Community Services to establish and/or
enhance post-acute network partnerships.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory standards for federal payers,
TJC, and other insurance companies.
- Creates an environment that embraces cultural diversity and
recognition that we are stronger as an interdisciplinary team when
we embrace our differences.
- Promotes an environment of transparency with employees and
- Actively participates in review and identification of
opportunities of nurse quality indicators as measured by NDNQI at
individual department level collaborating with nurse managers.
- Benchmarks EOGH performance against national best
- Pursues sharing of best practices through publication,
presentation at conferences and networking with other leaders
throughout the Prospect system.
- Performs large-scale project management independently.
- Implements and monitors initiatives to recognize, reward and
- Actively participates in the development and communication of
nursing's shared vision.
- Seeks out learning opportunities to enhance professional growth
and development. Creates and updates personal professional
development plan annually. Minimally meets state requirements for
- Identifies opportunities for journal publications for self and
- Participates in a research project.
- Lead and support evidence-based projects & nursing research by
assisting in the identification of opportunities to incorporate the
scientific method into nursing practice.
- Financial stewardship: monitors, controls, and is accountable
for maintaining departmental costs within budgeted
- Builds trusting and collaborates relationships with other
hospital departments, patient care units, ambulance services,
medical staff, patient and families, law enforcement officers,
clergy, morticians, media and other health facilities.
- Utilizes a transformational leadership style to facilitate
effective change management principles to drive needed
- Reviews patient satisfaction data and findings from Press
Ganey/ HealthStream and assists in coaching managers formulate
- Analyzes clinical service areas for operational effectiveness,
using dashboards and other data sources.
- Oversees and ensures that standards of care are maintained
relative to quality management, utilization review, and discharge
- Accountable to ensure ongoing development and operation of
Shared Governance model in all departments.
- Serves as a consultant for nurse managers and medical staff on
patient care or nursing issues assisting with interpretation of
Health Center policies to ensure patient needs are met.
- Through research and planning ensures patient care is delivered
in accordance with the professional standards for nursing practice
and is evidenced based.
- Must be able to manage multiple competing priorities and
maintain calm demeanor in stressful environment.
- Proficiency with computers and clinical applications.
- Ability to effectively negotiate with patients, families,
internal and external providers of patient care services.
Other DutiesPlease note this job description is not designed to
cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with
or without notice.Minimum Education/Certifications -- NJ State
Registered Nurse License-- BSN degree or equivalent education and
years of experience-- National Certification required within 1 year
of taking position-- Minimum of three to five (3- 5) years'
experience in Acute Care Nursing.-- Minimum of one-year experience
as a Case Manager in an Acute Care setting.-- Minimum of three (3)
years Supervisory experience in utilization management, case
management, discharge planning or comparable professional area.--
If Social Worker, then LCSW with a Master's degree and experience
as a 3 year experience as director leading a team of RN Case
managers & Social workers required.-- PREFERRED: Master's Degree in
Nursing (MSN) or related field (MBA/ MHA).
Leadership Skill Requirements:-- Maintain and Model Respect,
Excellence, Accountability, Compassion and Honor.-- Action and
Results-Oriented: Ability to establish key goals, drive and track
results among multiple decision-makers and stakeholders and meet
deadlines in a fast-moving environment.-- Political Savvy and
- Ability to maneuver through complex, politically charged
situations and understand the dynamics and culture of the
- Ability to anticipate problems and negotiate solutions with
peers, senior leadership, and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to Build Relationships Through Integrity and Trust
- Ability to quickly gain the trust and respect of others, drive
collaboration, build a teamwork environment, search for the win/win
scenarios.-- Influencing Skills: Ability to lead an organization
using influence, rather than possessing direct authority of others,
being sensitive, yet direct in both verbal and written
communications.-- Managing Complexity: Ability to lead and drive
results in a complex organization, achieving alignment between
often-conflicting priorities, initiatives and people.
Functional/Technical Skills Requirements:-- Comprehensive
understanding of operational health care delivery systems and the
current health care landscape. Skills and experience with
developing competitive business strategies for health care. Skills
and experience with the operational aspects of health care
technology deployment. Familiarity and comfort with
technology-based operational improvement. Health care management or
consulting experience preferred.-- Analytics and Strategy:
Expertise in developing and executing data-driven approaches to
enhancing business decision-making and improving operational
performance (preferably in healthcare). Advanced knowledge of
business intelligence best practices, familiarity with fact-based
management tools and techniques to drive strategies and a
continuous improvement culture.-- Communications: Excellent written
and verbal communications skills. Ability to take abstract, complex
and/or technical information and break it down for a variety of
audiences in a way that is meaningful for them.-- Functional
Oversight: Issue identification, gap analysis, ability to
prioritize business needs and execute solutions.-- Financial
Management: Ability to understand financial reports, develop basic
financial models, and identify trends, variances, and
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Must be willing to work
holidays, weekends and provide additional coverage as needed
Keywords: East Orange General Hospital - 300 Central Avenue, East Orange , Director, Case Management, Executive , East Orange, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!